Sunday, March 27, 2005

EASTER SUNDAY

It was harder to get my run in than I expected today. Since it is Easter Sunday, that means driving about 45 minutes to my wife’s hometown, going to church, then heading to her mom’s house for lunch and an Easter egg hunt. By the time we got home at about 3 PM the NCAA tourney was on again. Being from Wisconsin, I had to watch the Badgers battle the Tar Heels for a spot in the Final Four. While it was close the whole way, I never got the sense that the Badgers were going to win. Afterwards, Michigan State and Kentucky played a great game to determine the last Final Four spot. During this game I was still trying to decide what I was going to do about my run. In the past, I’d have just talked myself out of running and written down ZERO in my log book. Since I have some goals I want to achieve, I’m more motivated. Lately I’ve been hopping on the treadmill but, since it was about 45 degrees outside, I wanted to get out – even if it meant running in the dark.

After putting my kids to bed I was able to get out around 7:30. I had an 11 mile run on the schedule but decided to just run an 8 mile loop. I figured that’d be better than zero. Awhile ago I borrowed a friends’ GPS watch and ran this loop. I’m pretty good at judging pace and distance, but was still surprised when I finished the loop and the watch read something like 8.015. Anyway, tonight I kept the pace comfortable. I went through 4 miles in 31:58 and ended up running even splits for the 2nd half. Feeling pretty good and “not afraid of the dark” I decided to add on 2 more miles. So I ended up with 10 for the day. Not bad.

No comments: